Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Letter To My Father: Jesse C.Taylor-Pryor


My father: Jesse Carl Taylor-Pryor "Pete"
I thought that I had said all there was to say about my father a few months ago when I started this blog. Apparently I need to share more of his story..Because he is still nudging me. 

I'm sure that I will never understand the reasons that he stayed away after he and my mother divorced. They are long gone and buried with him. I've always been careful in talking about him. Knowing that his departure and absence left scars on the hearts of my loved ones that still remain after all these years. However, I must talk about him. As he is part of the story. There is no shame in speaking about an absent father. When you grow up without your father, and the years roll by, with no phone calls, no letters, no visits. It's only natural to be curious about him and why he's not with you.
 
On my journey to find out more about him, I found his family...my family. I'm realizing that this work of finding ancestors is my calling and it applies to finding the living relatives as well as those who are gone. Growing up my mother made sure that I knew that I had other siblings. She told my sisters and I often. Always saying just what my father had told her. That he had ten children.That never bothered me. I just wanted to know who they were, and where they are. After I found my father's siblings, my aunt sent me baby pictures of children that she said were my siblings, also an obituary of a brother who passed away before I had a chance to meet him. As I talked more with my family. His story began to unfold. It was so touching to hear my aunts and uncles speak fondly about this man that I remember, yet hardly knew. They gave small details of the brother they remembered. It was fresh, new and exiting. All I had ever heard was my mother's story. How I wished that I had known them when I was a child.


The reunion:  L. to R. Uncle Charles, Me, my sister Tiffany and Uncle Steve
Always searching for more information I called my Aunt, everyone kept telling me that I needed to talk to her. They told me that she was the oldest and knew more than anyone about the family. Although I was prepared to ask questions, especially about my siblings..there was no need. She was very talkative and instantly shared her memories about her brother, my father. She told me all about the family history. That was when I found out that my Great-grandmother and her family were Creole. They were originally from New Orleans,Louisiana and had later migrated to Mississippi and Arkansas. She told me all about My father. Lastly, she told me about my siblings.That was the big news. I was at a loss for words when she told me that my father had TWENTY-FIVE children!  Yes--25!  She didn't know where they all were. She only knew that they existed.


When I shared this information with my sisters they couldn't believe it. They told me "Denise, You have to find them". My first thought was, Lord, why Me? and how am I supposed to do that?  I don't know if they even want to be found. However, I knew that I had to try. I would love to find them all. I called my father's brother, He confirmed what my aunt had told me. "Yes", he said..Pete did have many, many children. He told me that Missouri was the place to start and that he was willing to help me find ALL of them. Well there it was. I had my starting point. 

If I could talk to my father today. I wouldn't have any harsh words for him. I wouldn't ask him for money. I wouldn't even ask him where he has been for all these years. I would only ask him where are all my brothers and sisters.


Kimberley Ann Taylor


Peter James Davis

Pryor
Jesse Renald Williams "Skip" 1955-2008



A Letter To My Father:


Dear Daddy,

I have often wondered where you are and what happened to you. Years have gone by and you've missed so much. How could I have known that when I was seven would be the last time that I saw your face. Your girls are all grown up now with families of their own. You have 12 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.  Mom took great care of us. She made sure that we never forgot you.  I've often wondered what our life would have been like had you stayed. I believe that everything happens for a reason, It just wasn't in the plan. Through genealogy research, I've found your family. My aunts,uncles and a ton of cousins. They've embraced me with loving arms. I've also found a sister, Tiffany. Were so happy that she came into our life. Dear Daddy, It's now time to put you to rest. I am letting you go. I have so much work to do. I must try to find my other siblings, hopefully I will find them all. The ancestors are waiting. They, like you, have a story and it must be told.



Peace & Love,

Denise 
 


© 2013 Denise Muhammad

14 comments:

  1. Finding all of your siblings is a good work for you. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LindaRe.Yes, a lot of work. Hopefully I will find them.

      Delete
  2. That is wonderful. Finding cousins is good, but finding siblings must be even more emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Way more emotional. Thanks Kristin.

      Delete
  3. You are not alone. I don't have 25 siblings to find but I nurture Granddaddy Ike and his 3 Wives and the combined 23 kids he had. So yes do what you can now.......Great Story. I wish I could ask "Pete" a few things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks True. I was so nervous and a bit hesitant about posting this story. This post was emotional for me,but it needed to be said. I know that many have a similar story. I wish I could ask him some things too! :)

      Delete
  4. Very poignant post and letter to your father. So glad you were able to your uncles, aunt, and new sibling. Know that the work you do in finding your siblings will as likely be as healing for them as for you. My brother's father is also a man with many, many children and one of them contacted me thrilled when I posted his grandmother's info. Good luck as you go forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hadn't thought about that, That it will be healing for them also. Hope to find them. It's great that you were able to share his grandmother's information. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Denise...you know I spoke out loud when I read the number 25! LOL. Glad to hear that you do not have any ill feelings toward your dad. I wish you all the best in finding your siblings. I always liked growing up in a large family...trust that you may find much love in all you meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delores, I know what you mean. It was quite shocking when my aunt told me. that's a lot of brothers and sisters. My father got around..Lol. Thanks for the support. :)

      Delete
  6. Denise..Great story! Things do happen for a reason, and a little nudge or two from the ancestors is always welcomed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a truly amazing and heartfelt post! thank you for sharing this part of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. I appreciate your comment. :)

      Delete